Department of Planning
- Economic Development
- Business Resources and Links
- Doing Business with the Military
- More Economic Data for Ocean County
- US Census State and County QuickFacts
- NJDOL Labor Market Information
- Planning Department Programs
- Planning Home
- About Ocean County
- Planning Board
- Planning Staff
- Information & Publications
- Ocean County Data Book
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Natural Lands Trust Program
- Farmland Preservation
- Watershed Management
- Transportation Planning
- Barnegat Branch Trail
- Pumpout Boat Program
- Ocean County Airport
- Joint Land Use Study
- Preventing Stormwater Pollution
- All Planning Programs
- Ocean County Government Main Website
Ocean County has led New Jersey in building permits and population growth over the last 20 years. From 2000 to 2010, the year-round population grew by 13%, according to the US Census.
The County is the second largest in the State in terms of size and one of four New Jersey counties which border the Atlantic Ocean. Toms River Township serves as the County Seat and is centrally located within Ocean County.
The County is in close proximity to two of the nation's largest metropolitan centers, New York City, approximately 60 miles to the north and Philadelphia, roughly 50 miles to the west. In addition, Atlantic City is located approximately 50 miles to the south of the County Seat. These metropolitan areas are easily accessible to Ocean County via several major highways, as shown on the Regional Location Map. Read more.
- Close to beautiful beaches, marinas, parks, and preserved natural lands. Ocean County is home to one-third of the Jersey shore, bordering the Atlantic Ocean.
- Ocean County Library, headquartered in Downtown Toms River, is the largest county library system in the State.
- Good schools... Toms River Regional School District in the largest suburban district in New Jersey, fourth largest overall with 18,000 students. Most of the Ocean County schools consistently test well above state averages.
- Affordable housing and low property taxes.
- Six Flags - Great Adventure, New Jersey ( Theme Park, Wild Safari Animal Park, Hurricane Harbor Water Park), Jackson Township.
- Lakewood BlueClaws Professional Baseball Team, Class A Affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Cultural resources include the Garden State Philharmonic, the historic Strand Theater, Surflight Theater, the Poland Spring Arena at the Ritocco Center and the Albert Music Hall.
- Historial resources include the rich variety of historical museums throughout the County, including the Tuckerton Seaport, Barnegat Lighthouse, and other destinations.